Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Note on Lexicon


In my discussions of Christianity, much of the focus has been on heresy – as with Philostorgius and Arianism – and schism – as with Optatus and Donatism. Philostorgius was writing primarily of the Greek church, and I have called the opposite of heresy "orthodoxy." Optatus was writing about part of the Latin church, and I have called the opposite of schism "catholocism." I want to make clear, as these issues will recur, that it is only a coincidence that I have referred to the eastern Christians as "orthodox" and western Christians as "catholic." The split in the church by which we use these terms today for the official names of the (Roman) Catholic Church and (Eastern) Orthodox Church had not yet occurred in the 4th century. Rather, for the most part following my sources, I am using these terms based on their literal meanings. "Orthodox" means "right doctrine," while heretics "choose" to hold the wrong doctrine (at least to the orthodox thinkers), and "catholic" means "universal" as contrasted with schism which divides. At this point in history the orthodox and catholic churches are equivalent – the church that followed the creed defined at Nicaea.

No comments:

Post a Comment